IDLE is the Python IDE built with the tkinter GUI toolkit.
IDLE has the following features:
- coded in 100% pure Python, using the tkinter GUI toolkit
- cross-platform: works on Windows and Unix
- multi-window text editor with multiple undo, Python colorizing and many other features, e.g. smart indent and call tips
- Python shell window (a.k.a. interactive interpreter)
- debugger (not complete, but you can set breakpoints, view and step)
To install IDLE on Fedora, simply type the following in your terminal as root:
yum install python-tools
python-tools is the Python package that includes several development tools that are used to build python programs.
After installation, you can now run IDLE from your terminal by entering
idle, which should launch a window similar to this: